Wednesday, December 10, 2008

FHE: Gingerbread house

On Monday night Tyler was at work a little late, but I asked him to come home by 8:00pm so we could have Family Home Evening. We've been trying really hard to do this on Mondays so we can get into a habit before we have children. Before he got home I prepared these sweet treat bags for our neighbors:


There is 5 truffles in each bag and our little card says "Happy Holidays! With love, The Winmill Family", and on the left side I have our address. As soon as he got home we went out to distribute these. Now I just have 35 more to go and all our neighbors should be good for this season. Don't you wish you were my neighbor!?

We had dinner and started on our activity. Making a gingerbread house. I had Tyler do the icing first.


We then sat down and realized that this thing was going to take forever and a half to do, but it was too late because the icing was mixed.

We put the walls up, then had to wait one hour to put the roof up.

While we waited that hour, we got the rest of the neighbor cards punched, and written, and also decided to do some Christmas cards. We weren't going to do them originally, but now we are. So I need to hurry up and get them done and out. I'm just waiting for the envelopes to get here.

We got the roof up and had to wait another two hours to be able to decorate. So we showered and got ready for bed, and hung out.

We started to decorate around 11:30pm and everything was going great until I handed Tyler the piping bag. He begged forever and a half for it, but I was afraid.


I gave him specific instructions to make sure he stopped sometimes and pushed the icing down to the tip and for him to keep the top twisted. He wanted to do the icicles on the roof.

I put the candies up on the roof and while I was taking this picture Tyler got up in a hurry and was all "AAHH!!"


This was the result of his rendez-vous with the piping bag:


Yes my friends! He dropped a good CUP of icing on top of April's head, Oliver's body, chair, and himself!!! Now normally I would have freaked out. Maybe it was because it was 1:00am and I was too tired to freak out, or maybe I've lightened up a bit. But I was laughing. Tyler was laughing. I was hysterically laughing. It was just too funny, because the dogs didn't care they were covered in icing, they were licking it away from the floor.

Little April not only got frosting on herself, but when she wiggled she splattered it over the walls and then proceeded to rub her icing covered head on the carpet. So we put the gates up in the kitchen and locked both doggies in there with us until we were done. They were definitely getting a bath!

Our finished gingerbread house (1:30am)







It's a good thing we don't have a cake decoration business. We'd be bankrupt by now.

Tyler gave both doggies a bath while I cleaned up the mess in the kitchen.


I think we ended up going to bed at 2:30am. I asked Tyler if he was bugged with me. But he said he had lots of fun, and we did. It didn't matter we went to bed super late, we were just happy to spend time together.

3 comments:

Merkley Jiating said...

Wow, that wasn't the response I was expecting. Don't you work at the temple?

Merkley Jiating said...

Oh sorry. I was so distraught that you didn't like my post. I tried so hard. I am starting to get sick of blogging again. I go through these phases where I don't see the point. I am still not sure if blogging makes me life better or worse.

I thought Tyler's mess was hilarious. I made Sam come look at the pictures and he thought it was funny too. That is one of the most impressive gingerbread houses I've ever seen.

Elaine said...

That is so funny....We have to do Gingerbread houses...but in the future they have kits...with a base that has indents...so you don't have to wait all that time to decorate...ours was up ready and decorated in well 30 min...but with kids...it is not as beautiful as yours...

R u in UT now?

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!!

♥ e2