Day 3 - May 17
We woke up way early on Sunday to drive to Lexington. If you're thinking that I look strange on the picture below, it's because I had just woken up and it was darn cold!!!
We went straight to the Kentucky Horse Park for the High Hope Steeplechase race.
The first event of the day was the terrier races. It was so funny to watch all these dog owners around get their little terriers all prepped up to race.
I hate to admit, but I kind of wanted to have Oliver and April there too. lol
We then had some lunch and walked around the park a little.
We watched a total of five races during the entire day, but I thought I'd spare you all the pictures and just show you one, since this is pretty much what the others one look like too.
In between races they had a guy come with his hunting hound dogs. He had like fifty dogs! And they all followed him. Whenever he would blow this horn thing all the dogs would turn to him and listen and follow. It was amazing.
He stopped and they opened the gates and allowed all the kids and adults to come in and pet the dogs and ask him questions. I think this was by far the neatest thing we saw at the park all day.
After checking into to our hotel, and taking a shower we decided to go out for dinner and look around Lexington. We looked online for a yummy restaurant and settled on Dudley's.
Boy are we glad we went there! It was the best food, the service was excellent, and so quaint. It is located at an old school house and I couldn't get over how cute this restaurant was. If anybody ever goes to Lexington I'd highly recommend Dudley's. It was cold in Lexington so we sat indoors, but they have a cute outdoor patio that I think would be wonderful for cool summer evenings.
Day 4 - May 18
This was a busy day!! We had so much fun though that it was absolutely worth it the running around.
We went back to the Kentucky Horse Park to do some horse back riding and look at the main part of the park, instead of the campground that we were at for the race.
We went back to the Kentucky Horse Park to do some horse back riding and look at the main part of the park, instead of the campground that we were at for the race.
The last time I had been horse back riding was when I was fourteen, and Tyler had dome some growing up but by no mean were we pros at this. I was a little scared, but I'm glad we did it.
It was a guided tour through the park and we saw all the renovations and a huge building they're putting at the park for the world equestrian games that will be in Lexington next year. Apparently it's the first time that the games are being hosted outside of Europe.
After having fun with the horses we were hungry! We went to grab some lunch at yet another quaint place called Stella's Kentucky Deli. We wanted something light so we wouldn't feel sick the entire day. Stella's was great!
Tyler decided to try the traditional kentucky hot brown. So yummy!
Tyler and I tried their Bourbon balls before the tour, only to find out during the tour that they use some serious whiskey to make those with. Strong stuff!
We went to the Lexington History museum back in downtown Lex. The building is gorgeous. It certainly catches your eye while you're driving through town. Just beautiful.
Lexington Courthouse
We took a quick trip to the University of Kentucky Arboretum. I'll admit it wasn't as nice as the Dallas one, but it's kept by the college of agriculture and it's free! They also have a two mile paved path through it that we saw many families and runners doing.
We tried to go to the Lexington Cemetary but we ran out of time and they were closed.
So we went to dinner at Natasha's Bistro. We were going to stay for a play they have next to the restaurant, but decided to run some errands, and go to bed early for the long St. Louis drive the following day.
1 comment:
It looks like so much fun! I have never really had the desire to go to Kentucky before now!
Post a Comment