Monday, July 20, 2009

Nauvoo, IL

Day 7 - May 21

We started off to Nauvoo around 8:00am. Tyler drove the entire way, and I slept most of the way.


We tried to check into our hotel when we first got there but weren't able to. I was starving! So we decided to eat lunch at grandpa John's. Then off we went to the visitor's center and took a wagon tour of the sites that lasted an hour, which was nice to see it all at once and then decide what we wanted to see for the next day.




After the tour we went to the hotel and checked in, and then went to do a session at the beautiful Nauvoo temple. We got to be the witness couple for it again, and did some sealings afterwards. We also had a sweet temple worker take us on a tour of the temple and it's gorgeous.







After the temple we decided to go to the show that the couple missionaries put on every night called "Rendez-vouz at Old Nauvoo". We had fun! They did such a cute job.

We were starving after all that, but only to find out that everything closes WAY early in Nauvoo!!! Like 8:30pm and there's no more places to eat dinner. The only thing open was the local and ONLY gas station that also had pizza. So we got pizza and took it to our hotel.


Day 8 - May 22

We started the day out a bit late because we slept in a bit. We had breakfast at the old nauvoo bakery and then went straight to the Community of Christ Joseph Smith historic sites. They own these sites, but our church and their church work together with the tours and respect each other about it. It is wonderful that we are able to have these buildings and church history available to us no matter who owns the properties.

We saw the homestead










Then off we went to see the rest of the sites. We tried to get as much in as possible. We visited the printing shop and the post office. We also saw the Pendleton school house and the Scovil bakery.





The Jonathan Browning Home and Gun Shop.

The pioneer games area that was mostly for kids but I had fun dressing up as a pioneer.

Then we took an ox ride that just went around in a circle. The ox did not like me though!



We went to the seventies hall and were able to find some of Tyler's ancestor on the book they have upstairs that has pioneer names on it.











The brickyard






And other sites that I never took a picture of. There was so much to see and we didn't get to see as much as we wanted. We needed way more time in Nauvoo because things were not open very late!! After a whole day of historic sight seeing we had dinner at Hotel Nauvoo. And then we rushed over to see a dress reharsal for the Sunset by the Mississippi that was starting a few days after we left. It was so fun! I'm glad we got to see it.


We ended the night by taking a carriage ride through tiny downtown Nauvoo.


Nauvoo was one hot place! And there were lots of bugs. We went at a time where the shows weren't playing and things closed earlier than the full out summer season. But honestly I cannot imagine going there in the summer because it's so stinking hot and there are so many bugs. I think I'd like to go back in the early winter, or during Christmas time. But at the same time it would be so awesome to be able to see the Nauvoo pageant and be able to see the other shows that they have going on during the summer. We'll see when we go back.

PS: All the words in gray are links to things we saw or information about certain things.

1 comment:

Sheena said...

Back right before the dedication of the Nauvoo temple I went on a church history tour...this was in high school. The Nauvoo temple is one of my favorites because of the history and it is GORGEOUS inside. To think about how much was sacrificed to build that temple only to see it burned to the ground is gut wrenching! I hope to go back to Nauvoo and do a session someday since I wasn't endowed at the time. Love your pictures...they remind me of that fun trip and all the things I learned! (Your trip looks amazing by the way!)