Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Going manual

Monday, July 12

Monday was our first day of class. We started the morning learning about our cameras. I have a Canon 7D and throughout our entire trip I had been using it in AV mode because of this blog. I bought the 7D once I signed up for the retreat. I had been wanting a DSLR for over two years and finally got it.

After we were done with instructions we switched the camera to Manual. The following are my first pictures shooting in Manual mode.Our model was Naomi Davis from Rockstar Diaries.

These pictures were taken in Beynac at the castle.






I was pretty frustrated with myself. I just wasn't getting it. We had lunch as group before we went up to the castle and at night we were free to roam. Keisha and I saw a pamphlet for a garden and asked the owner (who spoke English) where it was and she said it was really close, 1km away. Keisha was all for going, I was hesitant to get in the car again after our driver down, but off we went.


We went to the beautiful Jardins de Marqueyssac. 

It was closing in one hour so we didn't get to see all of it, but made the most of our time. It is beautiful!!!









Keisha and her film camera. :)




Every evening they had hot air balloons all over the place, so beautiful.





Once they closed we went back to Beynac and took some pictures of the village



Restaurant we ate at everyday for lunch



First day of going manual was hard. I wanted really bad to switch back to my lovely AV setting. Keisha was so sweet and kept reminding me that I didn't have to be perfect, that I had just gotten this camera two months ago, and other people were doing this for years. That is my problem with musical instruments people - I want to be right away and have no tolerance or sympathy for me not to. I'm working on this, it's something I've known about myself for a while. I've gotten much better and this photography stuff has helped a lot with that.

I can't remember where we had dinner that night. I want to say this was the night we had a hard time finding something open and we wound up eating from the kids menu.


I'm fairly sure this was it. All the turkey cordon bleu goodness with fries. Best meal ever after my previous dining experience in Beynac!

No comments: